Thursday 26 January 2017

The countdown begins..

As the time nears to leave on my trip, it seems there is ever more to do!!

Hopefully next Saturday, 30th July, 2011 is departure day. The plan for the trip... there is no plan except to do a lap. I have 2 months to wander this beautiful country, i am hoping by not setting an itinerary, it frees me up to simply enjoy the moment, not worrying about having to make a certain town on a certain date. The Kimberley is one of the main focuses of the trip, as it is so remote, i hope to spend at least a week, maybe 2 there.

I am really happy with how the bike has turned out, it rides great and feels so much smaller than when i bought it. You can see my build report here:


I really need to thank those who helped me get the bike to where it is today.

Mike, thanks for the factory space and your attention to detail and skill, those who know me well would understand that if the bike was all my doing it would not look anything like it does now, it would have been held together with cable ties and duct tape, so thanks very much for all your help.

The members of both Stromtrooper and ADVRider also provided many pearls of wisdom, special thanks to Glitch for letting me into Thinstrom HQ.

Thanks Adrian for your help and constant coercion that forced me to buy a MacBook Pro, my bank account hates you.....

A big thanks to Shane for helping with my panniers, i really appreciate all your help.

All the last minute jobs on the bike have been done (i think !!) so now it is time to start figuring out how to load it all.

Tomorrow will be one last shake down ride, i'll make sure that the bluetooth headset talks to the GPS and iPhone. After the ride, i'll start figuring out how best to pack the bike, there is a fair amount of stuff i will be dragging around the country.

Here is the bike, a 2011 Suzuki DL650A, i'm tipping this is the last time she will look this good. I'm sure that 18,000+ Kilometers will add some character...















































Cheers until the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.